Critical Reflection

Link: CR Google Doc

How do your products represent social groups or issues?


A social group or issue represented in my products is the Lgbtq community. Our main character, Jack, is a gay man with the film featuring him and his boyfriend. Our film however does not entirely focus on Jack’s sexuality, I believe this even more strongly represents the social group of the Lgbtq community because it helps reduce stigma and normalize seeing gay couples on the big screen. With the story being largely similar as to what it would be if Jack had a girlfriend instead of a boyfriend it brings awareness to the true normalcy of Lgbtq couples and the struggles they experience similar to everyone else. This detail of Jack being gay is not in the focus so much so that this detail is not featured anywhere in the postcard or website. This furthers the idea of how creating no special focus on Jack’s gay identity strongly represents the social group of the Lgbtq community. There is no example of discrimination in any of my products in regards to Jack’s sexuality, so they do not represent the issues this social group faces. 


The only other social group that it could be argued I represented in my products is that of the middle class man. Jack, our main character, is driving a standard non-fancy car and goes about a very normal life with no great expenses or luxuries. The social group represented, the middle class, does not have any great issues addressed in my products but there is representation. This can be seen with the picture of Jack’s car that is used in both the website and the postcard as well as all of the social medias for the short film. 


Overall, the social groups represented in my products are the Lgbtq community and the middle class. Although there are no real social issues represented. 



How do the elements of your production work together to create a sense of “branding”?


The elements of my production are connected through common factors found in all of them. This includes the same editing style for the pictures used on the postcard and the pictures on the website, as well as throughout the entire short film. Another example is the cover picture used on the front of the postcard is the same cover picture found on the homepage of the website, it even is the same picture for all of the profile pictures of the social media websites made to help advertise the film. Another similar factor is the coloring of text, a bright and bold yellow lettering with a strong font is found in both the postcard and the title sequence in the short film. 


This creates a sense of “branding”. My production can be recognized by audiences from this picture, editing style, and font across the different elements. The use of these methods to connect the elements of my production works together to create a recognizable product to audiences. This allows them to follow and understand the connection between the elements of my production. This is a sense of branding. 


The elements of my production also work together in creating a sense of branding not only by creating a recognizable product but also by giving the audience a sense for what to expect. The pictures and explanation used in both the postcard and website give the audience enough context to understand that the film is dramatic and intense. This is part of the brand of my production. Branding is important to any production to provide cohesivity and grow interest from an audience.


How do your products engage with the audience?

The main way my products engage with the audience is through social media. When creating the social media profiles for my production I had to think about the demographics of the audience my production would attract. I decided this to be younger generations with interest in dramatic storytelling. I then used this to decide which profiles to make and chose X, TikTok, and Instagram. These social media sites are very relevant to younger generations, especially compared to other social media sites like Facebook or Linkedin. I am also familiar with all of them and knew that the advantage of being able to effectively use them would more easily help me engage the audience. 


These social media sites also provide a very close creator-audience relationship which is becoming increasingly popular to younger people. The ability for the audience to directly comment, like, and share, on social media posts creates a more personal connection to a production. I recognized this effect and used it to my advantage when engaging with the audience that I believed was the target demographic for my film. For example, on posts created I made sure to reply to any comments and create a sense of connection. So, by interacting through comments and stories across these sites my products engaged with the audience. 


Being able to have clear communication with the audience through Bios on all of the social media sites also helped with engagement. This is because having an area easily accessible to the audience with all the information on other elements within my production furthers engagement with the website and postcard elements of my production. By linking the website audiences can easily engage and further view my products.



Being able to have an active audience through social media sites and the obvious connection and accessibility of all my products engages with the audience. 


How did your research inform your products and the way they use or challenge conventions?


The research I completed was for both conventions of drama films and also for the marketing done alongside short films. 


This research led me to understand that dramatic films often have plot twists as well as specific characterization and acting to increase dramatic effect. There is also often a depiction of regular life with no real factors of fantasy or supernatural. This research informed me on how my product would use these conventions with no real challenges to the general conventions of drama films. With a plot twist at the end and foreshadowing throughout the plot convention of drama films is used. As well as the use of a normal man, Jack, with a normal everyday life depicted which is a drama genre convention. This is used to grow dramatic effect by creating shock and no anticipation in an audience. Another convention followed is the use of dramatic music and scene timing. With very specific dialogue and spacing to create a dramatic pace my film used the conventions of the drama genre. 


I also researched the conventions of the marketing aspects of my product, being the postcard, website, and social media. I found that most films recently made had many, if not all social media profiles possible. My products used this convention by also including many social media profiles across many sites. Another convention is the website for productions including awards won and reviews alongside information about the film. There is much pride throughout productions about the achievements of their projects. This is similar to my products as the website does detail awards won at film festivals by my short film and reviews of the film as well as more information for audiences. This is another convention my products use.


Overall, my product uses many conventions found in the drama genre and in the production of films. It does not do much to challenge industry conventions, but this is due to an understanding of how marketing influences the success of a film and the audience it reaches.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Group Blog: Introductions